Thursday, June 25, 2015

Full Time Flying


In November of 2014 I received my single engine commercial pilot certificate. A few months later I was able to get a contract job delivering airplanes all over the North America. I found out about this opportunity through a flight instructor that I had done some flying with and he recommended me to the chief pilot. It was a lot of fun and I got to do a lot of traveling each week flying mostly new Cessna's. I went on two international trips and one involved ferrying an airplane from Canada to Texas. One of the most memorable trips was a turbo Cessna 182T that the dealer had purchased from the Boston area. It was an extended trip due to terrible winter weather in New England. When I arrived to get the airplane there were over three feet of snow on the ground with more coming. It was an eventful trip to say the least. The ferry business is still a lot of fun and I try to do as much of it as I can on the side. The variety of airplanes you get to fly while doing this is amazing.

One of my goals for 2015 was to add the multi-engine rating to my commercial certificate. Not long into the year I dove in and knocked out the training at Fort Worth Flight Center in a Beechcraft B55 Baron. The airplane was an absolute blast to fly and the staff there is great! The instructor I had was great to be around and I learned a great deal from him. Towards the end of my training he asked if I would be interested in a flying position that would be coming open for a company that he flew for when he wasn't instructing. He told me a little bit about the position and it sounded like an amazing opportunity. I again expressed my interest and he put in a reference for me. A few weeks later I was interviewing for the position and it was offered to me a few days afterwards. I am currently flying the Beechcraft Bonanza A36 here and it has been great.

Being a career pilot was something I had considered, but didn't think I would actually make it to that point. My career path has taken a few hard turns in the past, but I am now having a blast doing what I love! I can't wait to see where things go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment